About Suffering From Urge Incontinence

Urinating on yourself as an adult can be embarrassing when it happens in a public place. If you are concerned about your inability to control when and where you urinate, it is wise to get examined by an urologist. You might be suffering from a condition that is called urinary incontinence. There are several forms of the condition, but yours might be urge incontinence due to you not being able to stop the urine from coming out. In this article, you will learn more about urge incontinence in case you are diagnosed with it by an urologist.

1. Why Urge Incontinence Happens

There are various things that can lead to urge incontinence, such as an injury to the spinal cord. One of the other things that can cause the condition is an inflamed bladder. Underlying medical conditions can also lead to the development of urge incontinence. For example, Parkinson's disease is a neurological condition that can cause damaged nerves. If nerves that are associated with your bladder are damaged due to Parkinson's disease, it might be why you are unable to hold your urine in.

2. How an Urologist Makes a Diagnosis

There are several types of tests that can be administered in an effort to make a diagnosis for urinary incontinence. The type of tests that are used will basically depend on your symptoms, as it helps a urologist to get a general idea of the type of incontinence you have. For urge incontinence, you might be asked how much fluid you drink right before you start feeling the urge to urinate. A cystoscopy might also be performed to determine if you have an abnormal urinary tract. Depending on your specific sex, the urologist will perform an exam on your pelvic floor muscles or rectum.

3. How the Condition Might Be Treated

If you are a woman, you might be told to do Kegel exercises to strengthen your bladder muscles. A pessary ring can also be prescribed if you are a woman, which can be inserted in your vagina to prevent your bladder from leaking urine. Whether you are male or female, surgery can be performed to increase the amount of urine that can be stored inside of your bladder. You will then be able to hold your urine in for longer periods of time. A urologist can also prescribe a catheter that can be taken home and worn to capture your urine as it leaks out of the bladder.

For more information or advice, contact a urologist, such as those at Advanced Urology Associates.